The high-quality undergraduate program in banking is designed to provide students with in-depth knowledge and comprehensive skills required for professional opportunities available in the banking and financial sector. The program develops students’ knowledge and understanding of the theories and principles underpinning banking and finance together with their intellectual skills such as critical, analytical, and problem-solving skills providing a solid foundation for them to solve complex problems in core areas of finance and banking, including deposit, lending, credit rationing, trade finance, international payment, foreign exchange trading, financial consulting and bank risk management. Moreover, the program can also allow students to gain a wide range of knowledge and relevant competencies regarding foreign languages, informatics, conceptual methodology and particularly self-responsibility, leadership skills, a spirit of respecting law and attitudes towards innovation and creativity in the workplace.
According to the current regulations of the Ministry of Education and Training and the training regulations of University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City
General education courses: 54 credits
- Marxist - Leninist Philosophy
- Marxist - Leninist Political Economics
- Scientific Socialism
- History of Vietnamese Communist Party
- Ho Chi Minh’s Ideology
- Foreign Language
- Mathematics for Business and Economics
- Applied Statistics for Business and Economics
- The Legal Environment of Business
- Soft Skills
- Principles of Accounting
Core Courses: 61 credits
- Financial Accounting
- Corporate Finance
- Tax planning
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Commercial Banking
- Investment Banking
- Bank Strategy and Management
- Fund Management
- Fundamental Auditing
- Monetary Policy
- Quantitative Methods in Finance and Banking
- Personal Financial Planning
- Fintech in Banking
- Ethical and Professional Standards in Finance and Banking
- Sales Management in Financial Institutions
- International Banking
- International Payment
- Foreign Exchange Trading
- Credit Analysis and Lending
- Bank Accounting
- Bank Management
- Banking Law
- Bank Marketing
- Treasury Management
- Valuation and securities analysis
- Core Banking
Internship and Thesis: 10 credits
Total: 125 credits
- Understand the basics of political sciences and business law
- Apply theories and principles of economics, accounting, and management to work independently and manage an organization effectively
- Apply fundamentals of banking and finance to mange an organization and perform other assigned tasks effectively
- Comply with the rules of business and banking law while dealing with issues related to banking and financial services
- Understand, analyze and apply management theories and principles to manage banks and financial institutions effectively in the context of the globalization and digitalization of the banking industry in industry 4.0
- Reflect, formulate and present innovative proposals for a wide range of banking activities such as: capital mobilization, credit lending and extension, investment banking, transaction banking, trade finance, forex trading, personal financial consulting, treasury managment and other related
- Understand, analyze and demonstrate banking activities that support for the operation of a bank in core business discipline areas such as: accounting, auditing, financial analysis and consulting
- Understand, analyze and apply basic principles and approaches for effective risk management in banking
- Think critically and reflectively on financial service industry and banking environment
- Demonstrate values, knowledge, skills and attitudes appropriate to discipline and/or profession related to comtemporary issues in finance and banking
- Be able to carry out scientific research independently in banking and finance
- Perform well the role of team leader and organize effective teamwork; work both autonomously and collaboratively
- Communicate effectively and use foreign languages fluently at work
- Master skills to lead, start a business and create jobs for yourself and others
- Self-motivated to work effectively, self-responsibility in a team to achieve goals
- Have positive attitudes towards the profession in the workplace and have a spirit of respecting for the rules of law
- Have a wide range of knowledge and full responsibility to work at banks, other financial institutions and enterprises in Vietnam or globally
- Learn actively and be able to develop critical thinking during a self-study time
- Continue studying in postgraduate programs in a variety of economics fields at all national and international universities
In addition to the above Learning outcomes, graduates can:
- Have foreign language competency with level 4/6 Vietnam's foreign language competency framework, achieving TOEIC 650
- Complete scientific research
- Complete the actual enterprise
- Obtain Certificate of Internet and Computing Core Certification (IC3)
- Obtain Certificate of Physical Education
- Obtain Certificate of Military Security Education
Bank: Financial Advisory Consultant
- Providing clients with financial information (such as financial services, types of banks and financial institions…) and the terms of the agreement between the two parties
- Recommending investment strategies relevant to clients’ financial targets.
- Providing advice to clients on taxes, retirement planning, investments, and insurance decisions to help clients achieve financial objectives.
Bank: Credit specialist (Credit Approval Officer)
- Providing support for the organization's underwriting needs with a focus on processing, evaluating, and completing financial analysis on individual loan requests.
- Monitoring and maintaining the overall credit quality of the company's loan facilities.
Bank: International Settlement/Trade Finance Officer
- A bank specialist who is responsible for trade product management, customer marketing and business processing of various products of the trade finance such as (i) cooperate with the client manager (ii) participate in the marketing and promotion of customers' trade financing products, (iii) provide customers with trade financing solutions, (iv) assist the client manager in the initiation of trade financing credit.
- Also know as a bank officer who is responsible for developing forfaiting, letter of guarantee, letter of credit and other businesses and trade finance business processing
Bank: Treasury officer/mangers
- Working closely with the business to minimize financial risks
- Analysing and performing appropriate hedging and funding activities
- Providing cash and liquidity management through cash flow planning and forecasting
- Managing treasury operations and controls (cash pooling/sweeping, forex hedging etc.)
Bank: Asset Pricing Specialist
- Performing pricing and validation of clients’ investment assets
- Resenting evaluation reports to a manger or head of a unit/department for approval
- Contributing to ongoing developments of the pricing control process.
Securities Corporation: Securities Broker
- Acting as an intermediary between customers and financial markets. their main responsibilities include (i) Managing client portfolios, Making decisions on when to buy or trade financial securities; (ii) Working closely with clients to understand their financial goals and risks; (iii) Consulting clients on the buying and selling prices of different stocks.
Securities Corporation: Securities Analyst
- Conducting valuation assessments of a firm and identifying market opportunities available in the financial market
- Researching and Scrutinizing financial data on stocks and companies to guide investors/organizations on investment decisions.
- Typically reporting to a manager or head of a unit/department
- Conducting research on organizations within a specific industry to make recommendations regarding investment strategy
Credit Fund, Fund management: Fund promoter
- A specialist who is responsible for promoting investment and fund raising in the financial markets
Credit Fund, Fund management: Investment Fund Analyst
- Producing market reviews and investment outlook pieces.
- Researching and analyzing financial data investment opportunities available to make recommendations regarding investment strategies.
- Addressing financial risks related to the funds
Non-banking financial institutions (Finance Company, leasing, factoring, Insurance company): Coporate banker/relationship manager
- Promoting financial products and conducting core discipline areas of the business
Non-banking financial institutions (Finance Company, leasing, factoring, Insurance company): Investment Analyst
- An specialist who is producing research on the financial market and providing financial advice to customers.
Enterprise: Finance department; Finance Officer
- Financial officers are in charge of overseeing the financial transactions of a company. Also known as chief financial officers who are responsible for developing budgets, monitoring transactions, and preparing financial reports
Auditing Firm: Bank Audit, Financial Consulting Department.
- Bank audit, Personal financial consulting, Corporate financial audit.
Public Sector/ State Agency: Bank specialist at Central Bank (State Bank); Tax Officer; Customs Officer
Researcher: Research assistants in Banking & Finance
- Producing research reports in the field of finance and banking
Researcher: Lecturers in Banking and Finance
- Teaching at universities in the field of Economics in general and Banking and Finance in particular.